Free Consultations: 651-778-0575

What can you do if you’re wrongfully terminated in Minnesota?

Nothing is worse than losing your job and thinking that it has to do with your sexual preferences, skin color or gender. Maybe it’s your disability that you worry about or you think that because you requested your employer stops harassing you that you’ve been retaliated against. Whatever the reason is, it’s hard to handle when you’re terminated from a job unexpectedly.

If you believe that your employer has fired you for unfair reasons, you may have a case against him or her. An employer is not allowed to hire or fire individuals based on their creed, color, sex, national origin, race, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or ancestry in Minnesota.

The Minnesota Department of Human Rights handles claims against employers. If you intend to file a lawsuit, you may wish to start by contacting the agency. This department can help you understand your rights and what you need to do next to have your employer investigated.

Your attorney can also help you prepare if you want to file a claim. Often, it’s important to reach out to your employer’s human resources department first, then to the Minnesota Department of Human Rights. Taking these steps can help you show that you built a case over time against your employer. Additionally, you or your attorney can seek a reason for your termination. Under law, the employer has to give a truthful reason for termination if you request the reason in writing. The employer has only 10 days from the date he or she receives the request to give a reason in writing.

Source: Department of Labor and Industry, “Labor Standards — Frequently asked questions about termination,” accessed Jan. 10, 2018